Dover Castle - Officers New Barracks and St Mary-in-Castro Church
Form of Contract:
JCT Intermediate Building Contract with Contractors Design 2011
Baker Mallett were appointed by English Heritage to provide full pre and post contract Quantity Surveying services on a conservation maintenance project at Dover Castle.
The project involved undertaking a programme of conservation repairs to two separate structures within the boundary of Dover Castle namely St Mary-in-Castro Church and the officers new barracks.
St Mary-in-Castro Church dates back to 1020 AD and is of Anglo-Saxon origin but was extensively repaired in the 1500’s and the restored during the mid-19th Century. The church still serves the local population and the Army Garrison in Dover.
Works to the Church involved erecting an access scaffold to the tower, chancel and transept to enable stone and masonry repairs to be undertaken. In addition extensive repointing works were also undertaken using hot lime.
Internally lime wash was applied to the walls and repairs undertaken to internal wall mosaics.
The Officers new barracks were constructed in the mid-19th Century as part of the overall works to ‘modernise’ the castle. The building originally contained accommodation for the officers stationed at Dover Castle.
Works to the barracks predominantly involved repair work to the roof and replacing of broken slates and failed leadwork to prevent water ingress in to the building interior.